Saturday, October 18, 2008

FOOD FOOD FOOD

For those of you that know me you know that food is a very important aspect in my life.
I always told myself during happy times and down times the thing that has always stayed consistent are my family, friends and FOOD.

There are many great joys in life and Food is one of them.
People here in HK ask me how can I have dinner for 2-3 hours? Apparently dinner in HK last about 1 hour at the most.


I let them know that dinner is my way of socializing with my friends. I try to explain to them rather than go clubbing or go out drinking afterwards sometimes I prefer to spend my entire night sitting at a restaurant enjoying the company of my friends over a few glasses of cocktails and some really great food.*

*this does not apply to wonton noodle bars =P

For instance. Just a few days ago. My friend and I went to this great restaurant in the IFC called Isola. I highly recommend it! Food is great and the outdoor patio deck which is as big as the restaurant has a beautiful view of the HK harbour.

IFC is the tallest building in HK and is the same building that Batman para glided into in his recent movie. Kinda looks like a giant phallus don't you think?

Back to food. This place was pretty good. It was of the Italian flair. We had an order of one of the best cooked medium rare fillet's I have tasted in a long time! On top of the fillet was a piece of goose liver as big as the meat itself. We also had a stone oven fired pizza with hand cut pepperoni. Of course a tasty arugula, mushroom, salad.
We spent a few hours at dinner and spent the rest of the time in the outdoor patio having coffee and hanging out.
This is a prime example of what I enjoy doing. Simple pleasures in life.
Had Dim Sum here for the 1st time since I came back this time. I went to a place called Jade Garden on a friend recommendation. There are two in causeway bay and a few others scattered around the rest of HK Island and Kowloon. I went to the one in Causeway Bay off Hysan Road right off of Percival St near Times Square. Needless to say delicious! A friend of mine made a good point in that why is it that it tastes better in HK than it does in SF? I was wondering that myself and the only conclusion that I could come up with is that the turnover for the dim sum is really high in HK and its constantly fresh. But that didn't make sense for some dishes like the Chang Fen. The noodle itself was just better. The skin of the Shao Mai was better as well.....
I guess HK just simply more skillful in their preparation.....
Sorry I do not take pictures of food when I eat. By the time I try to whip out a camera the food is gone!
Fundamental difference between HK Island and Kowloon when it comes to food.
HK Island has more expensive high class food then Kowloon does. Although in Tsim Sha Tsui there are a few little nooks and crannies like Knutsford Steps where you can get some real good quality Italian food at a price of course.
Kowloon has more of the great cheap local food here. Wonton Noodle Soup. BBQ meats over rice. Cafe Style Food.
I'll try to post some pictures next time unfortunately it will be posted from my iPhone.


No comments: